vac#Die-001 – Open Position Beginning 06/10/2019 Closing 06/21/2019
Purpose of Your Job Position
The primary purpose of your job position is to provide assistance in all dietary functions as directed/instructed and in accordance with established dietary policies and procedures.
Delegation of Authority
As a Dietary Aide, you are delegated the administrative authority, responsibility, and accountability necessary for carrying out your assigned duties.
Every effort has been made to keep your job description as complete as possible. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is a logical assignment to the position.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the facility’s dietitian as necessary and implement recommended changes as required.
- Assure that all dietary procedures are followed in accordance with established policies.
- Others as deemed necessary and appropriate, or as may be directed.
- Develop and maintain a good working rapport with inter-department personnel, as well as with other departments within the facility to assure that food service can be properly maintained to meet the needs of the residents.
- Create and maintain an atmosphere of warmth, personal interest and positive emphasis, as well as a calm environment throughout the department.
- Participate in and assist in departmental studies and projects as assigned or that may become necessary.
- Attend and participate in workshops, seminars, etc., as directed.
- Serve meals that are palatable and appetizing in appearance.
- Assist in serving meals as necessary and on a timely basis.
- Serve food in accordance with established portion control procedures.
- Assist in daily or scheduled cleaning duties, in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Clean work tables, meat blocks, refrigerators/freezers, etc.
- Sweep and mop floors as directed.
- Carry soiled utensils, etc., to wash area.
- Return clean utensils to proper storage areas.
- Wash and clean utensils as directed.
- Carry out garbage and keep work areas clean, dry and free of hazardous equipment, supplies, etc.
- Set up meal trays, food carts, dining room, etc., as instructed.
- Assist cook in preparing meals.
- Distribute and collect menus as necessary.
- Obtain food supplies for next meal.
- Assist in checking diet trays before distribution.
- Deliver food carts, trays, etc., to designated areas.
- Serve food in dining room as instructed.
- Perform dishwashing/cleaning procedures. Assure that utensils, etc., are readily available for next meal.
- Remove food trays from carts, dining rooms, etc., and take to dishwashing area.
- Prepare and deliver snacks, etc., as instructed.
Safety and Sanitation
- Prepare food, etc., in accordance with sanitary regulations as well as with our established policies and procedures.
- Assure that safety regulations are followed at all times by all personnel.
- Follow established Infection Control and Universal Precautions policies and procedures when performing daily tasks.
- Assure that the department is maintained in a clean and safe manner by assuring that necessary equipment and supplies are maintained.
- Report all hazardous conditions/equipment to the Director of Food Services immediately.
- Report all accidents/incidents as established by department policies.
- Assist in maintaining food storage areas in a clean and properly arranged manner at all times.
- Dispose of food and waste in accordance with established policies.
- Wear protective clothing and equipment when handling infectious waste and/or blood/body fluids.
Equipment and Supply Functions
- Assure that food and supplies for the next meal are readily available.
- Assist in inventorying and storing in-coming food, supplies, etc., as necessary.
- Maintain confidentiality of all pertinent resident care information.
- Review complaints and grievances and make necessary oral/written reports to the Director of Food Services within three (3) work days.
- Make only authorized food substitutions.
- Assist in food preparation for special meals for parties, etc.
- Works in well-lighted/ventilated areas. Atmosphere is warm for cooking.
- Sits, stands, bends, lifts and moves intermittently during working hours.
- Is subject to frequent interruptions.
- Is involved with residents, personnel, visitors, government agencies/personnel, etc., under all conditions and circumstances.
- Is subject to hostile and emotionally upset residents, family members, etc.
- Communicates with the medical staff, nursing staff, and other department supervisors.
- Works beyond normal duty hours, on weekends, and in other positions temporarily, when necessary.
- Attends and participates in continuing educational programs.
- Is subject to falls, burns from equipment, odors, etc., throughout the work day.
- Is subject to sudden temperature changes when entering refrigerator.
- May be exposed to heat/cold temperatures in kitchen/storage area.
- May be exposed to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc., including the AIDS and hepatitis B viruses.
- Maintains a liaison with other department supervisors to adequately plan for dietary services/activities.
Must possess, as a minimum, a high school diploma or its equivalent as to a GED.
None. On-the-job training provided.
- You will need two forms of I.D. and proof of Tribal Enrollment (if claiming Indian preferences).
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
- Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel and the general public.
- Must be a minimum of eighteen (18) years of age.
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions.
- Must maintain the care and use of supplies, equipment, the appearance of work areas, and perform regular inspections of food service areas for sanitation, order, safety and proper performance of assigned duties.
- Must have patience, tact, cheerful disposition and enthusiasm as well as be willing to handle residents based on whatever maturity level they are currently functioning.
- Must possess the ability to seek out new methods and principles and be willing to incorporate them into existing dietary practices.
Physical and Sensory Requirements
(With or Without the Aid of Mechanical Devices)
- Must be able to move intermittently throughout the work day.
- Must be able to speak and write the English language in an understandable manner.
- Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
- Must possess sight/hearing senses or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately so that the requirements of this position can be fully met.
- Must function independently, have flexibility, personal integrity, and the ability to work effectively with the residents, personnel, and support agencies.
- Must be in good general health and demonstrate emotional stability.
- Must be able to relate to and work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset, and, at times, hostile people within the facility.
- May be required to lift, push, pull, and move equipment, supplies, etc., in excess of fifty (50) pounds.
- Must be able to assist in the evacuation of residents.